Launched in 1930, the Elmar 35 mm f/3.5 was the first interchangeable lens Max Berek engineered for Leica.
Its simple construction consists of four elements in three groups, with the aperture located behind the second element. The lense's performance is below today's standards at open aperture, but can be greatly improved by stopping down.
With its 63° angle of view, the Elmar 35 mm f/3.5 (which was released five years after the introduction of small format photography) quickly became the lens of choice for many Leica photographers, and has retained its status of a popular standard lens to this day. Various versions of the Elmar 35 mm f/3.5 were manufactured until 1950.