- Zuzana Pustaiová’s photo book ‘One Day Every Day’. Image: Zuzana Pustaiová, 2022
© Zuzana Pustaiová
- Zuzana Pustaiová, Family Portrait, 2020, from the publication ‘One Day Every Day’, 2020-2022 © Zuzana Pustaiová
- Kohei Kawatani, tk_2065, 2019, from the publication ‘Tofu Knife’, 2019-2021
© Kohei Kawatani
- Lebohang Kganye, Ka 2-phisi yaka e pinky II, 2013, from the publication ‘Ke Lefa Laka: Her Story’ © Lebohang Kganye. Courtesy the artist
- Pedro Guimarães, from the publication ‘Rato, Tesoura, Pistola’, 2021
© Pedro Guimarães
The Museum für Photographie in Braunschweig, Germany, presents the exhibition BOOK_SPACES with publications by Pedro Guimarães, Hien Hoang, Mads Holm, Kohei Kawatani, Lebohang Kganye, Sarai Meyron, and Zuzana Pustaiová.
How can the pages of a book be transposed into a three-dimensional space? The group exhibition ‘BOOK_SPACES’ presents visual-art projects from different cultural regions, with a focus on the participatory and democratic possibilities of printed publications.
To create the showcase, the featured artists used performative practices and spacial installations to ‘translate’ excerpts from their book publications into an urban museum environment. The interplay of film, sound, text, drawings and performance serves to reveal the multi-faceted nature of the showcased approaches. Family histories, the personal and societal perception of identity, as well as the examination of stereotypical imagery and social roles are the exhibition’s central themes.
In a vacant space in the immediate vicinity of the museum, a selection of photo books by students of the Hanover and Dortmund Universities of Applied Sciences and Arts will also be on display under the heading of ‘FIRST PAGES’.