- Vanessa Beecroft: VB55-Performance, 2005, Neue Nationalgalerie Berlin
© Vanessa Beecroft
- Yang Fudong, New Women III, 2013, Copyright the artist, Courtesy Marian Goodman Gallery
- Bernd Uhlig: Sasha Waltz Dialoge I 99, Sophiensäle Berlin, 1999
© Bernd Uhlig
- Viviane Sassen: Untitled from Roxane II, 2017
© Viviane Sassen courtesy Stevenson Gallery Cape Town
- Helmut Newton: Ballet de Monte Carlo, 1992
© Helmut Newton Estate
A group exhibition at the Helmut Newton Foundation celebrates the symbiotic relationship between photography and the performing arts. Open from November 30, 2019 to May 20, 2020.
For countless photographers, documenting performing artists – either in a specifically orchestrated setting, or as an incidental observer of their craft – has profoundly shaped their own artistic evolution.
With this unprecedented group exhibition, the Helmut Newton Foundation presents a selection of contemporary photography sequences, linked by their common focus on the human body as a medium of artistic expression. The result is an extraordinary selection of images rooted in performance art, dance and other forms of staged physical expression, complemented by conceptual series exploring the same overall theme.
‘Body Performance’ features works by illustrious photographers such as Vanessa Beecroft, Erwin Wurm, Yang Fudong, Barbara Probst, Inez & Vinoodh, Jürgen Klauke, Robert Longo, Viviane Sassen, Robert Mapplethorpe, Bernd Uhlig, and Helmut Newton.
For further information visit Helmut Newton Foundation